Have you ever been asked a question that changed everything for you?
I've always had a deep respect and fascination for the transformational value of asking a powerful question. After a decade of coaching, I finally decided to create a list of the most powerful questions for uncovering truth.
I divided these questions into the following categories:
Getting Underneath an Issue, Taking Responsibility, Working with Fear & Resistance, Uncovering Core Values, Accessing Intuition, Fostering Self-Appreciation, and Deepening with Self.
I hope you enjoy and share these questions with clients & friends!
Getting Underneath an Issue:
· What might you be avoiding by fixating on this issue?
· If you didn’t have this issue, what else would you be doing with your time and energy? What might be scary about that?
· What’s here when there’s no problem to solve?
· What might be the feeling or emotion that is underneath this story? If you were to give this feeling your attention right now, what does it most want to say?
· What happens when you give this issue some compassion and presence?
· How is this story keeping you small?
· What’s a more empowering story than the one you have been telling yourself?
· And… is this giving you energy or draining your energy?
· To really see what you are committed to, let’s look at the results of your life. What have you been consciously or unconsciously committed to?
· Instead of beating yourself up, what can you learn from this experience?
· If you changed your belief about this, what would be possible?
· What’s the first step you need to take to reach your goal? What are you willing to commit to?
· In the bigger picture, what is Life inviting you to learn from this experience?
· Instead of seeing this as something happening to you, how might it be happening for you?
Working with Fear & Resistance:
· What are you afraid to fully see about this issue? What about this feels scary to face?
· If you were to view this fear/resistance as an opportunity for growth, what is on offer?
· If your resistance could speak, what would it say? What does your resistance need in order to feel safe right now?
· What are you pretending not to know?
· If you weren’t feeling any fear, what would you do?
· What is the scariest step you know you need to take in your life right now? What might it look like to take that step?
· What obstacles might come up along the way? How do you plan to work with these obstacles?
· What are the consequences of never taking the steps to overcome your resistance/fear?
Uncovering Core Values:
· If you could wave a magic wand, and instantly create your MOST ideal life (home, work, health, relationship, money, family, etc.), what would your life look like? What would you do or create? Why?
· If you could choose one superpower, what would it be? Why? ;)
· What deeper meaning or personal significance does this goal have for you?
· What is the most important thing in the world to you? And what’s meaningful about that?
· If you knew this was the last year of your life, what would you choose to do with your remaining time and energy?
· Imagine yourself on your deathbed, looking back over your life. What would you look back and say was the single most important thing you contributed to this world?
· If you were to wake up each day and remind yourself, “I am one day closer to my death,” how would you choose to greet this day and the people you encounter?
· What does your intuition tell you about this?
· Do you have a gut feeling about this? What does your gut want to say?
· What is it that you already know about this issue, that you have been afraid to fully see?
· Are you approaching this from your head or your heart? What does your heart want to say about this?
· Imagine that your wisest self, your Soul, is here right now. If they could give you advice about this issue, what would they say?
· How have you grown over the last 5 years?
· Looking back at your life right now, what are you most proud of? Why?
· What are the things you tend to not give yourself credit for?
· If the people who are closest to you were asked what your greatest gift is, what would they say?
· What do you appreciate most about yourself? How does it feel to let that in?
Deepening with Self:
· Who are you?
· What is alive for you right now?
· What are you noticing now?
· Tell me more…
· Who would you be without this thought?
· Think about the people who know you really well. How would they describe you?
· What do you want? Now, dig deeper. What do you really most want?